Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11: An Invitation from L.

Angel enjoying a sniff on another gray, cloudy, rainy day.


Steps: 10,481

Activity: Hike with the dogs. Extended beyond the loop, beyond to the gate and back.

Book: Half Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life by Edward Wilson

I was awake before Kylie and saw her off to school. Then out with the dogs for a longish hike before work. The dogs like this morning routine and they look forward to it nearly as much as I do. After the hike, it was off to Paradise and Chico to see patients. A frustrating day, as I had a hard time tracking down clients.

And then L. called. She invited me to hang out with her in Sedona in February for a week. She is taking a class on some sort of healing thing which takes up her mornings, leaving afternoons available to hike and play. "I'll provide the room and you take me out to dinner", she said. Not a bad deal.

As you can see from the photo above, it has been raining forever here. I've been thinking about taking a week to go see what the sun actually looks like. This gives me the opportunity to do so.

Once again I find myself in that position where I have a hiking trip planned and I'm not in the best shape for it. So it is crash program time. We start tomorrow. The goal is to lose 20 pounds in a month.

I finished Jim Harrison's book on food essays last night. Sometimes essays are difficult to read all the way through in a few sittings. That's true of Harrison. This is a book to pick up once and awhile and enjoy a few pages of decent prose. Harrison is earthy. A hunter. He pooh poos American wines and mostly lists European varieties of grapes that I've never heard of. But then again, Europe has been making wine for thousands of years; Napa has been only working at it for fifty.

On to Edward Wilson.

And tomorrow, a step on the scale and the beginning of a crash exercise program so that I can keep up with L.

No comments:

Post a Comment